I frequently include little Q&A's in my SharingwithWriters newsletters. Usually the questions are directed to me personally, but this is one I picked up from a reporter looking for information on Help A Reporter Out.  It's about Pinterest, which I'm finding both useful for marketing and lots of fun.
 
 
Q&A a la Ann Landers

 

Pinterest Question from HARO
 
By Carolyn Howard-Johnson

If you aren't using HARO (Help A Reporter Out) to reach out to those who need you and what you write about as a resource, you should be. Here is more on my SharingwithWriters blog for you, if you aren't already a subscriber there: http://sharingwithwriters.blogspot.com/2013/03/getting-smart-about-help-reporter-out.html Keep in mind, the idea is somehow tie what the reporter searching for help needs with what you need—that is a mention (at least!) of your book, blog, or Web site!

 

HARO Question:

 

Pinterest is described as being THE social media tool last year.
It is a unique site in that users themselves post links to
products that they like, sharing them in albums with friends and
like minded individuals. The question then is how do you use
Pinterest for marketing purposes, and how does that differ from
your marketing strategy on other social sites such as Facebook
and Twitter? Further, does the fact that Pinterest has such a
high female demographic influence your strategy, and again, how
does this apply to your marketing on other social sites?

 

My answer to the Pinterest request:

 

Karen, of course I use Pinterest. 

 

The difference from most other social networking is, those who use Pinterest for marketing must adapt their campaigns to the bulletin board approach and be more "great marketing" aware of how to promote it. That is they must use the aspect of marketing that says great marketing is not about selling but about sharing with people who will benefit from what you do or what you sell. They must do more sharing than usual and they must provide something on their boards that will help or entertain those who come by to visit.

 

I make a greater effort on Pinterest than any of my other social network sites to connect with people who have pinned my images. I use the comment feature when they pin my book's cover images and then I either follow one of their boards, pin, or like one of their images.  I'd say about 95% follow up by pinning from one of my boards  again...and again. So it works as a networking tool, too.

 

 I also use my newsletter, blog, and Web site to tell prospective pinners that when they "favor" me (that is pin one of my book covers), I favor them. You can find the little sidebar element I use on several pages of my Web site  at http://howtodoitfrugally.com/social_media.htm though it is just one of the promotions I use.

 

One my mantras: You gotta promote your promotions.  That goes for social media (including Pinterest).

 

I am the author of two multi award-winning series of books on marketing--one for writers and one for retailers. Even The Frugal Editor touches on the importance of editing as part of a marketing campaign. I've included information on them below.

 

You can e-mail me for a media kit or download one from the media room on my Web site at http://howtodoitfrugally.com.

 

PS: We often can't actually trace results from the online marketing we do but my tally of sure-results from Pinterest so far come to:
1. Two streaming radio interviews
2. At least 100 re-pins of my book covers that showcase them to these Pinterest members' followers
3. One request for a blog guest post.


That's really quite a lot considering so many think that Pinterest isn't for authors. (-:
 
----
Carolyn is a frequent contributor to this Frugal Book Marketing blog. Learn more about the work she does to benefit writers at http://howtodoitfrugally.com.  Subscribe to her newsletter and get a free e-booklet on editing by going to that Web site; you'll find the subscibe window in the upper right corner of almost every page.