If Pinterst Is About Images, What Are Authors Doing There?

By Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of the multi award-winning The Frugal Book Promoter

I just started using Pinterest. It’s the new social network that many are saying “I don’t get it” about, just like they did when they first ran into Twitter. Now we’ve all been Twitterfied.

I didn’t get it, either, but I've been applying lots of general marketing techniques to Pinterest and that gave me a bit of a headstart. Now people are asking me what I think of it for authors and I’ve been telling them that Pinterest is like any other promotion or social network. If you want something to be successful, you have to promote the promotion.

An example. I got started by telling my author friends on Facebook that if they pinned one of my books to their account, I'd do the same for them. I have several different book boards (like bulletin boards where you categorize posts that intrigue you. One of them is "Books by My Friends" where I pin these books. I also pin images of gorgeous book cases, quotes, book-related cartoons, etc. on that wall to keep it interesting rather than just a wall of book covers, which they could find on Amazon.


I’m  offer you blog visitors the same deal, of course. But to work well, you really need to have a board showing your book cover—preferably with related images pinned on the same board.

We're all in this together. (-: Find me at www.pinterest.com/chowardjohnson. Also notice how I separate out the books I write in different genres to separate boards. And how I sometimes repeat a book image on two different boards. As an example, the theme of my novel is rooted in tolerance so it appears on my Tolerance board and on my Literary and Poetry board.

I believe it's little techniques like these that can make a difference to a network that at first doesn't seem innately suited to the needs of writers.

And yeah, its all about branding and finding those marketing angles I talk about in The Frugal Book Promoter. You have to analyze your own book to understand the possibilities for marketing it, for branding it, for targeting your readers.

~Learn more about the blogger/author at www.howtodoitfrugally.com. Check out her blog for authors, too (www.sharingwithwriters.blogspot.com, www.thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com and www.thenewbookreview.blogspot.com).  You can also learn more tips for authors from Carolyn with the hashmark #PinterestTip.